Burrito Loco is a fast food network focused on Mexican cuisine, which has a long tradition in Prague. The investor has requested studio Formafatal to design interior for this fast food chain, which would be characteristic for all new establishments. The assignment was to transfer the theme of Mexican cuisine to the design of the interior and to apply these elements to a variety of spaces that investors will gradually rent.
The concept of the interior (colors and symbols):
Mexico is full of colors. A distinctive feature is variety and glamour. We have kept the same materials and elements in the design of the individual branches but we have chosen different color combinations for each of them. The color palette of the cladding of the corrugated sheet metal, the paintings, the ceramic tiles and also on the chairs is changing.
We have intentionally replaced the characteristic Mexican tiles by monochrome tiles and we have brought the touch of Mexico through some symbols typical for Mexico.The essential element is the cactus symbol, which is dominant in the interior and stylized in different forms. Other features include sombreros and garlands. The hanging lights are made of typical Mexican hats.
The garlands could not be missing at any Mexican party, so they are hanging on the trees nearby each tin stand with refreshment. There are combined garlands of small light bulbs and garlands decorated with a cut pattern in the Burrito Loco interiors.
The sombreros as well as the white plastic garlands are ordered directly from Mexico.
The cladding of the corrugated sheet metal symbolizes Mexican residences. The applications on the pillows are in the shape of stylized sun that Burrito Loco has in its logos.
Studio Formafatal / http://www.formafatal.cz/
January – March 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Jakub Skokan a Martin Tůma – BoysPlayNice / www.boysplaynice.com
Cost for the realization of the interior:
700 000 CZK/branch (50-70m2)
- atypical furniture/joinery products (production according to the Formafatal design) – Dyzyk
- atypical furniture/ locksmith’s products (production according to the Formafatal design) – Kurel
- patina-work of the atypical furniture and lighting – Aleš Poláček
- design and sewing of the pillows – Miriam Š. Poláčková
Used material, typical furniture and lighting:
- ceramic rectified paving Ragno/ cement screed
- ceramic cladding Vogue
- corrugated sheet metal + cut self-adhesive graphics
- Dulux painting
- disposable chairs from the old school ( repassed +new paint)/ industrial metal chairs from the e-shop (new coloring)
- bar stool from an e-shop from England
- no name light garlands
- Zangra wall/ceiling industrial floodlights
- atypically made hanging luminaires made of Mexican sombreros
- atypically made luminaire of neon tubes
Other materials used on atypical furniture and atypical elements:
- steel bars
- plywood + black oil
- solid wood + patina work to the desired shade
- corten steel sheet
- steel (strip, bent)